Who Needs to be Notified of a Death?

Video Transcript

The institutions that need to be notified of a death would be the social security administration, any creditor, insurance companies, any real estate, retirement accounts, property, vehicles, and anything that would solely be in the individual’s name would need to be notified of the death.

Answers from Other Funeral Directors Around the United States:

Financial institutions, life insurance, banks, pensions, accounts, and debt holders will need to be notified of a death.

- C. A. Bankston
Funeral Director in Fort Worth, TX

We notify Social Security of the passing. Credit bureaus and recurring payments should be notified.

- Michael Sollitto
Funeral Director in Charlotte, NC

The Social Security Administration may, in most cases, pay a lump-sum death benefit of $255 to the surviving spouse of the deceased. We will notify Social Security of the death electronically, but the surviving spouse may need to contact them in order to receive the payment. There may also be additional benefits available to the surviving spouse through the Social Security Administration; the surviving spouse can obtain this information by contacting Social Security at 800-772-1213.

- Jessica Watts
Funeral Director in Jacksonville, FL